Most insurance companies catch a bad rap. One claim denied, one inexperienced customer service rep, and they’re crucified on the altar of corrupt businesses-not a comfortable place to be! Most insurance companies are there to help you out, and if you get the short end of the stick it’s because someone, somewhere, made a mistake. Nine times out of ten, you can take that to the bank when you’re shopping for auto insurance quotes online.
There are exceptions to every rule, however, and it’s those exceptions you have to watch out for. While most insurers have your back when the time comes, there are those that are going to give you grief from the word “go”-or worse, aren’t real insurers at all. Since you’re really going to wish you knew all that at the beginning if you decide to throw your hat into the ring, here are some red flags to watch out for when you’re shopping for auto insurance quotes online.
1) They’re not listed with the BBB. Any insurance company worth its salt is going to know that its customers are going to be concerned, and they’re going to want to alleviate that concern in any way possible. That includes making sure they’re in good standing with the BBB. If you can’t find them there, there’s a good chance that you won’t find them anywhere…
2) They don’t ask about your car. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of ways to save money on your auto insurance quotes online. A good insurer is going to go out of their way to make sure you have the chance to benefit from all of them!
3) They don’t seem to care about you. Your car isn’t the only thing that’s going to save you money when you’re shopping for auto insurance quotes online. Who you are says a lot about how responsible a driver you’re going to be. Legitimate auto insurance companies will consider your driving record, where you live, where you work, where you park, how often you drive, where you drive and what you drive when they’re guesstimating your premiums. If they don’t take the time to ask about that, they just don’t care.
4) Their customer service people are clueless. A good company will make sure it’s got good people manning the phones. If their customer service people are clueless when you talk to them, their sales people can’t answer all of your questions (or refer you to somebody who can) and/or something just doesn’t feel right, take a lesson from Gibbs and go with your gut. There are plenty of other fish in the sea.
5) Their consumer ratings stink. There’s no better way to put it than that. No one’s going to give you the cold, hard truth about a company than their current customers, so while you’re shopping for free car insurance quotes online take the time to check out the company’s rep. Remember, you can’t please all of the people, all of the time, but you should be able to please at least some of them. If they can’t, you’ve got a problem-and they don’t deserve your business.